In fact, you may have seen this exact product.
Products like these are known as body sprays or mists, and they are typically marketed towards men.
Unfortunately, men have been either:
- using them for the wrong purposes
- incorrectly applying them
- using poor quality products
In this article, you will learn not only what is the best body spray for you, but also what they are used for, how to use them and what to look for in one.
This has grown into my signature scent. It's masculine but not in an offensive way. It has a soft undertone to it. I've been wearing this for awhile now and has received a compliment about how great I smell each time.
What are Body Mists for Guys?
Let's start with what exactly these products are and what they should be used for.
Body sprays are what are known as fragrances. And fragrances are another way to say perfume.
A fragrance or a perfume is essentially any product, usually made of a mixture of oils and various compounds, that you put on yourself with the intention of 'smelling nice.'
Now, you may have heard or are wondering about another term, 'cologne' and how it is different from a body spray.
A cologne is a type of fragrance.
Next time you are out and about walking in any store that sells fragrances and colognes, check out some of the other bottles. Somewhere on the bottle, you will probably see one of the following:
- Eau Fraiche
These are all various forms of fragrances. They differ in a few ways, but generally they differ in terms of their strength. Eau Fraiche fragrances are the weakest (most diluted and do not last-long), whereas Parfum fragrances are the strongest (highest concentration and longer-lasting).
Eau Fraiche and colognes typically last for 1-2 hours. Rarely more.
Perfumes and parfum on the other hand, can often times last an entire day, due to their much higher concentration and strength.
Naturally, you probably want to know where exactly body sprays or mists fall on this continuum.
The answer is that virtually every body spray on the market today is much lighter (weaker) than colognes and eau fraiche fragrances.
Now, this isn't a bad or a good thing.
It's simply letting you know that these products have different purposes.
Which then leads us to the next point.
What are Body Sprays Used For?
Now that you know body spray is different from cologne, and cologne different from perfume, you need to know what each is used for.
Let's use men as an example.
Typically, younger men opt to wear cologne and sometimes toilette or eau fraiche fragrances.
And as we said earlier, these are somewhat on the lighter side of the spectrum, but still stronger and longer-lasting than body sprays. A good cologne will last around two hours (by that we mean the scent will have significantly died off).
Thus, you'd want to use something like a strong cologne for formal occasions or any event that requires dressing up or sharp.
On the other hand, body sprays, due to their lightness and ability to be re-applied again and again can and should be used for:
- casual events or gatherings with close friends
- sporting events or competitions
- gym or exercise
- performing errands, physical or otherwise
- smelling good in a quick pinch
The strength of a body spray is that it is a) cheap b) light and doesn't last-long and c) able to be re-applied at multiple times.
In short, save the cologne when you want to make an impression. Use a body spray for nearly everything else.
Now that you know when it's best to use mist and body sprays, let's quickly go over how to use them.
How to Use Body Spray for Men
Have you ever seen someone spray a bottle of cologne or perfume into the air and then walk through it?
You might as well be emptying that bottle straight into the toilet.
Don't do that.
Let's quickly go over how to correctly use body sprays.
First of all, you want to apply body spray in a slightly different manner than how you would apply a cologne.
Here are some ground rules when it comes to applying cologne. Most of them will also apply when using a body spray.
- More fragrance ≠ better smelling. Less is often more.
- Only apply your fragrance to dry skin. Never your clothes.
- You shouldn't apply it haphazardly
- Don't rub fragrance into your skin
Most of these will also apply to using a body spray, just slightly different.
Let's go over how you should apply body sprays and mists.
- Less is often more. It's much easier to start small and go big with a fragrance than it is the other way. In fact, you really can't. Unless you take a shower. Just a few sprays in some key areas and you are good to go. Don't go overboard.
- Apply body spray to dry skin. It will stick better. With wet skin it will evaporate and rub off. You want the fragrance to enhance your body smell, not your clothes'.
- Don't rub anything into your skin. This actually interferes with the chemistry of the product. Let it fall onto your skin.
- Don't apply body sprays haphazardly. You want to apply body spray to the same areas as you would cologne. These are: your wrist, inner elbow, shoulder, chest, shoulders and neck. With a cologne, you would choose one or two of these spots. With a body spray, you can be a little bit more liberal. Lightly spray your arms and torso.
- Don't use body spray in conjunction with a strongly scented antiperspirant or deodorant. You don't want to mix and match scents. All kinds of weird concoctions can occur. If you use a body spray, use a non-scented or very light deodorant or antiperspirant.
By now you should know three things; what body sprays are, when you should use them and how you should use them.
Which Body Spray is Best for Men?
Some of the most popular mens body spray brands include Axe, Old Spice, BODMan as well more traditional fragrance and fashion brands that have gotten into the game, such as Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren.
Typically, you would be advised to stay away from the more 'mainstream' type body sprays. They can be very hit or miss. And although most of them are relatively inexpensive, they just don't have enough of a WOW factor anymore.
Below is our top pick. This will leave you smelling better in a pinch, and moreover, will leave you standing out.
- 8.5 oz
- Very long lasting
- Masculine, penetrating scent
- Rated extremely high by consumers
212 Sexy For Men tops this list as the best body spray for men.
It is a little expensive (+$28) but is worth the price, if you what you are looking for is
This body spray is more akin to a cologne in that it is very dense and not as light and airy as other body sprays.
The scent itself is a concoction of vanilla, musk, pepper, flowers, amber and more.
The 8.5 oz can will also last quite a while, provided you follow the guidelines of in this article.
If you came here to find out what is the best rated body spray for men, hopefully this answered your question. Either of these are good options, and will leave you with a more polished, put-together scent.