Aftershave, like the name implies, is that substance you apply on the skin “After You Shave”.
It could be a gel, oil, liquid, or any other solution you use on your skin after shaving to help moisturize or protect your pores.
Perhaps you enjoy the soothing sensations it gives on your skin, the smell.
Or you’re just driven by curiosity so that you’re wondering if you can use your aftershave without shaving, then you have come to the right place.
This article will be your guide as we clarify the usage of aftershave and provide other necessary information within the scope.
Let’s get started…
Can I use Aftershave Without Shaving?
Yes, You can. Generally, there is no harm in putting aftershave on your skin to soothe or disinfect it.
You can apply moderately by sprinkling a little dab on your beards and skin.
Most natural aftershaves, such as Aloe vera, Coconut oil, or Jojoba oil, contain moisturizing elements that help retain skin moisture and protect from bacteria.
Depending on the type of aftershave you are using, you can explore its usage in many ways. We’ve highlighted below some ways you can use aftershave beyond applying after shaving.
Using Aftershave As Cologne
As a man, your scent is as important as your look. It could be the difference between winning a woman’s attention or not, so you’ll want to smell nice.
In the absence of Cologne, your Aftershave might just be the proper substitute.
Most aftershave, especially alcohol-based one, has a small percentage of perfume oil which give them light or delicate scent, and wearing it will give you that masculine scent.
However, because of the low concentration of perfume oil, the scent wears off fast compared to Cologne.
So, if your primary reason for buying an aftershave is to smell nice, cologne might be a better option.
Using Aftershave For Ance And Pimples
If you intend to use aftershave to treat acne and pimples, then you must be careful about the type you use. All aftershave products differ in ingredients, and the potency range varies accordingly.
Alcohol-based aftershave contains ingredients such as alcohol and witch hazel which are known for their astringent, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties and can help improve acne.
They help to kill the bacteria that can result in pimples and acne.
Your aftershave products must contain the following ingredients to help improve acne and pimples.
- Alcohol – The presence of Alcohol will help tightens the pores, kill dangerous bacteria, and dries up excess oil, which results in acne.
- Menthol – Menthol refreshes and calms the skin with a pleasant scent.
- Witch hazel – It reduces inflammation and eradicates bacteria that cause acne.
- Essential Oils – Examples include frankincense, Tea tree, and lavender have medicinal properties.
Generally, Shaving or not, there are many benefits of using aftershave since they are created to care for the skin and repair any damage resulting from using the razor.
Below are some of the benefits of using aftershave.
- It helps to improve skin health and repair.
- Aftershave promotes the regrowth of skin tissue, thus protecting skin health.
- It gives you a pleasing scent and pleasant smell.
- It reduces swelling and itching that results from ingrown hairs and skin damage.
Like everything in life, Aftershave has some disadvantages, especially if overused. The following are some cons of using aftershave:
- Fragrance ingredients included in Aftershave contain some artificial scent chemicals which could provoke headaches, red bumps, and itchy skin.
- For men that have delicate skin, Aftershave can cause irritation and discomfort.
- The scent does not last long.
- Aftershave can result in dryness of the skin
As we have established above, you can use an aftershave with or without shaving.
However, there are certain factors you should consider before using depending on your reasons for using it.
Alcohol-based aftershave is best for improving acne and pimples.
Consider going for an aftershave with natural and plant-based ingredients to prioritize soothing, moisturizing, and skin healing.
For whatever reasons you choose to use aftershave, remember that moderation is the key, and overusing it could have some side effects as well.
Familiarize yourself with your skin type so you can choose the best aftershave that matches it perfectly. Also, Don’t be afraid to try different options as this could help determine the best.