Should you manscape? Most men are. Here’s my opinion, as well as what women think about it.
Everyone has different grooming habits and standards, and at the end of the day, whatever decision you take is ultimately up to you.
However, if you are looking for a little guidance, you’ve come to the right place, because I’ve done quite a bit of reading on this subject, and I think these statistics mostly speak for themselves.
To answer the question as quickly as possible:
If you want don’t want to be left behind, you’ll need to do at least a little bit of manscaping, as well as overall body grooming, as the vast majority of young men now do this. Moreover, an overwhelming majority of women prefer men who take good care of their body, and in particular, men who have good grooming habits. If you are basing this decision at least partly on what the fairer sex things, suffice to say, you aren’t going to be hurting your chances by keeping your body groomed, trimmed (or shaved) and clean.
Should I Manscape?
Personally, I think there are quite a few benefits to having good body grooming, including regular manscaping. Those being:
- Increased confidence.
- Being cleaner and more neatly groomed.
- Being easier for certain bedroom activities.
- Less chance to acquire certain STD’s.
I’ll quickly dive into each of these, and explain my reasoning.
When you regularly go to the gym, how do you feel? When you diet, how do you feel? When you are productive and get things done, how do you feel?
Being in shape as well as on top of your game has a huge effect on your confidence level. This also applies to your physical appearance.
Dare I say, that for most guys, knowing that they are groomed, clean and physically appealing certainly gives at least something of an ego-boost. I’ll admit that it does for me.
Moreover, regularly manscaping your pubic region just makes everything down there bigger, cleaner and nicer to look at. That, in turn, can increase your confidence level.
Being Cleaner and Neatly Groomed
Ever notice how clean and fresh you feel after going to the barber? Or how great you feel after a fresh shave (if you haven’t nicked yourself to death).
Ditto for the dong.
A freshly trimmed and shaved (carefully) dong will not only make you look 1% more like Mandingo, but it will just feel cool as hell.
Oral Is Easier
I want to just go ahead and put a huge asterisk next to this one. And no, that isn’t a Barry Bonds asterisk, that is an asterisk that says *important*!
Ask yourself this.
When you going down on woman, would you prefer a thick jungle o’ bush or an area clean, prim and proper?
Ditto for the women in your life. If you enjoy getting oral, you want to facilitate and make it as easy as possible for repeat performances. You want to make her enjoy that stuff.
Now, what do you think she is going to enjoy more? Getting pubes in your own mouth or a slick, shaved pole?
Less Chance for Certain STD’s
If you are practicing self-sex (and you should be), keeping the pubes trimmed will drastically reduce your chances of contracting crabs.
After all, if pubic lice have nowhere to cling to, they will simply die out. Now that that is out of the way, we would also advise you to be careful with who you lay!
Since I’m on the topic of men and women, I think now would be a good time to share some statistics I have found on this topic.
How Women Feel About Manscaping
More people than ever are doing at least some sort of pubic hair management according to a recent Cosmopolitan survey, for instance:
- Among 18-35 aged respondents, some 69% of men stated that they are either shave or trim their pubic hair.
- 57% of women aged 18-35 stated that they shave off all of their pubic hair.
Since majorities of either sex are engaged in pubic hair grooming, you would expect that both would have certain expectations and likes when it comes what they want in their partner. And that’s exactly what we find with women. For instance:
- According to that same survey, some 70% of women aged 18 to 35 want their male partner’s pubic hair to be at least trimmed.
- 23% of the survey’s women respondents claimed that they have asked their partners to shave, trim or change their partner’s pubic hair.
- 19% of the survey’s women respondents also stated that they would reconsider dating someone if their pubic hygiene wasn’t to their liking.
The survey also broke down to exactly WHAT type of grooming that the men and women liked and looked for in their partners. Here were some of the results for the women (aged 18-35):
- 10% of women like their partners to perform NO manscaping
- 12% of women prefer their men’s genital region to be completely hairless
- 70% of women wanted it to be trimmed
Other surveys echo similar results, such as this recent Fashion Beans survey, which found:
- 88% of the women respondents stated that they preferred men to be trimmed and groomed downstairs
- 1% of the women respondents stated they preferred their male partner’s to be hairless down there
- 11% preferred the all-natural look
And yet another online survey, this time with female respondents aged between 18 and 34:
- 10% of female respondents stated it was unattractive for men to have any hair below the belt.
- 34% of the respondents stated that at least some hair was attractive.
Interestingly, this same study found that chest hair was INCREDIBLY attractive to women, as:
- 48% of women stated that some chest hair is attractive on men
Basically, anywhere you look a pattern seems to emerge:
- The vast majority of women prefer their male partners to do at least SOME type of male grooming or manscaping.
Thus, if you are asking yourself this question, and you are basing the decision at least partly on whether you believe it can influence the opposite sex’s perception about you positively, you would be hard pressed to claim that not doing at least some form of manscaping would not be beneficial for you.
To summarize everything:
- If you want to avoid being left behind, particularly as a young man, opt to do at least some sort of pubic hair grooming regularly.
- Women overwhelmingly prefer men’s pubic region to be at least neatly trimmed and groomed.
- Roughly comparable minorities of women (around 10% for both) prefer men to either go all-natural with respect to their pubic hair, or go completely hairless.
- In my opinion, doing at least some form of regular pubic hair grooming will increase your confidence, keep you cleaner, increase the frequency of certain bedroom activities as well as possibly lower the chance of getting certain STD’s. Essentially, little to no downsides!